Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Cornbread, Erroll and Me

Okay, so it snowed a little today here in the City Without a State. It didn't amount to much but I didn't feel like going out because I was having too much fun playing records, doing a little housecleaning and playing with DevilKitty. As the day wore on I started to get a little hungry and thought to myself, "Hey, I sure would like some cornbread". Alas, as I was getting the ingredients together, I realized that I'm almost out of flour and the milk in the fridge was actually quite a bit less than I needed. Not to worry though as the flour turned out to be just enough and the milk, well, I stretched it with some honey flavored Greek yogurt and it was damn tasty!

With a wire whisk mix together
3/4 cup of flour
2-1/2 tsp baking powder
3 tbls brown sugar (i used a fork to mash it into smaller grains though I'm sure there's an easier way to do that)
3/4 tsp salt
1-1/2 cups cornmeal
In measuring cup I poured all the milk I had (about half a cup) and added a 5oz. container of honey flavored Greek yogurt and a little water to make up a cup of liquid. I had some maple-flavored bacon for breakfast and saved the drippings in a 10-inch cast iron skillet which I heated up in the oven at 420°F just until it was warm enough to pour. Beat in 1 large egg. put the skillet back in the oven until it's hot enough to sizzle. While you're waiting combine all the ingredient until it's all wet and still lumpy being sure not to over mix. Pour it into the hot pan and bake for about 15 to 20 minutes which is about the length of side one of Erroll Garner's Solitaire" album.



No comments:

Post a Comment