Cornbread, Erroll and Me

Okay, so it snowed a little today here in the City Without a State. It didn't amount to much but I didn't feel like going out because I was having too much fun playing records, doing a little housecleaning and playing with DevilKitty. As the day wore on I started to get a little hungry and thought to myself, "Hey, I sure would like some cornbread". Alas, as I was getting the ingredients together, I realized that I'm almost out of flour and the milk in the fridge was actually quite a bit less than I needed. Not to worry though as the flour turned out to be just enough and the milk, well, I stretched it with some honey flavored Greek yogurt and it was damn tasty!

With a wire whisk mix together
3/4 cup of flour
2-1/2 tsp baking powder
3 tbls brown sugar (i used a fork to mash it into smaller grains though I'm sure there's an easier way to do that)
3/4 tsp salt
1-1/2 cups cornmeal
3tbls butter or bacon fat
2 eggs, beaten
In measuring cup I poured all the milk I had (about half a cup) and added a 5oz. container of honey flavored Greek yogurt and a little water to make up a cup of liquid. I had some maple-flavored bacon for breakfast and saved the drippings. In a large bowl, mix cooled drippings with the eggs and milk, then stir in the dry ingredients until it's all moistened but still a little lumpy, being sure not to over mix.
In a 10-inch cast iron skillet add a tablespoon of bacon fat and heat on medium until a drop of water sizzles in the pan. Add the batter and place in the oven preheated to 350-degrees. Bake for about 15 to 20 minutes which is about the length of side one of Erroll Garner's Solitaire" album.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Beef with Yuchoy and Peppers